First Monday (Monthly)
Board of Supervisors First Floor Meeting Room
Woodbury County Courthouse
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA
Powers & Duties:
(1) To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of Iowa Code Chapter 335, or of any ordinance adopted pursuant thereto.
(2) To hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the ordinance upon which such Board is required to pass under such ordinance.
(3) To authorize upon appeal, in specific cases, such variance from the terms of the ordinance as will not be contrary to the public interest, where owing to special conditions a literal enforcement of the provisions of the ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship, and so that the spirit of the ordinance shall be observed, and substantial justice done.
Appointment & Membership:
(1) The members of the Board of Adjustment shall be appointed by the Board of Supervisors for terms of five years. Members may serve up to 2 terms on the Board, whether the terms are successive or not. Terms of the Board shall be staggered so that no more than two memberships expire on December 31 of any year. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner for the remainder of an unexpired term.
(2) Members of the Board of Adjustment shall consist of eligible electors, as defined by Iowa Code section 39.3, who reside within the area regulated by the County Zoning Ordinance and shall not be officers or employees of any agency or department of the County. Iowa law requires all appointive boards, commissions, committees, and councils of a political subdivision to be gender balanced by using a fair and unbiased method of selecting the best qualified applicants. The Board of Supervisors may appoint any qualified applicant, regardless of gender, after making a three-month good faith effort to appoint a gender balanced Board.
(3) Members of the Board of Adjustment shall serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for the actual expenses incurred while performing their official duties, which shall be subject to the approval of the Board of Supervisors.
(4) Any member of the Board of Adjustment may be removed for cause by the Board of Supervisors following a public hearing on written charges. Cause for removal may be found by the Board of Supervisors in any action or condition which it determines to be detrimental to the proper functioning of the Board, including conflicts of interest, violations of laws or regulations pertaining to the role of the Board, failing to carry out the duties of a member of the Board, including failure to attend 50% or more regular meetings in any twelve-month period, or other conduct which casts doubt upon the integrity or effectiveness of the member.