Christine Zellmer Zant
Fourth Monday (Monthly)
Board of Supervisors First Floor Meeting Room
Woodbury County Courthouse
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA
The Woodbury County Community & Economic Development office is responsible for the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Ordinance is the tool utilized to implement the County's Comprehensive Plan. The purpose of the Comprehensive Plan is to provide a program for the orderly and efficient growth and development of Woodbury County. The Plan is concerned with the effective use of land, structures and open space, both public and private, to make Woodbury County a desirable place in which to live and work.
Powers & Duties:
(1) To recommend the boundaries of the various districts and appropriate regulations and restrictions to be enforced in the districts within the area regulated by the County Zoning Ordinance;
(2) To, with due diligence, prepare a preliminary report and hold public hearings on the preliminary report before submitting the Commission’s final report to the Board of Supervisors as provided in the County Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations;
(3) To recommend to the Board of Supervisors amendments, supplements, changes or modifications to the text or Zoning District Map of the County Zoning Ordinance. The Commission’s report and any recommendations may include a proposed ordinance or amendments to an ordinance;
(4) To recommend to the Board of Supervisors, the adoption of a comprehensive plan pursuant to Iowa Code Section 335.5, or amendments thereto;
(5) To contract with professional consultants, regional planning commissions, the economic development authority, or the federal government, for local planning assistance, with the approval of the Board of Supervisors.
Appointment & Membership:
(1) The members of the Zoning Commission shall be appointed by the Board of Supervisors for terms of five years. Members may serve up to 2 terms on the Commission, whether the terms are successive or not. Terms of the Commissioners shall be staggered so that no more than two memberships expire on December 31 of any year. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner for the remainder of an unexpired term.
(2) Members of the Zoning Commission shall consist of eligible electors, as defined by Iowa Code section 39.3, who reside within the area regulated by the County Zoning Ordinance and shall not be officers or employees of any agency or department of the County. Iowa law requires all appointive boards, commissions, committees, and councils of a political subdivision to be gender balanced by using a fair and unbiased method of selecting the best qualified applicants. The Board of Supervisors may appoint any qualified applicant, regardless of gender, after making a three-month good faith effort to appoint a gender balanced Commission.
(3) Members of the Zoning Commission shall serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for the actual expenses incurred while performing their official duties, which shall be subject to the approval of the Board of Supervisors.
(4) Any member of the Zoning Commission may be removed for cause by the Board of Supervisors following a public hearing on written charges. Cause for removal may be found by the Board of Supervisors in any action or condition which it determines to be detrimental to the proper functioning of the Commission, including conflicts of interest, violations of laws or regulations pertaining to the role of the Commission, failing to carry out the duties of a member of the Commission, including failure to attend 50% or more regular meetings in any twelve month period, or other conduct which casts doubt upon the integrity or effectiveness of the member